Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Public displays of “affection”

Until a few days ago, I regarded the term public display of affection (PDA) only as a verb symbolizing fond attachment, devotion, or love in real public places. Yesterday evening I logged onto Facebook to find myself hugged, slapped, winked, pinched, cheered and sucker punched in front of 122 people soon after my status message echoed “Richa Singhal is all that you scheme, all that you create, all that you wreck and all that you hate”. Suddenly I felt the term PDA has evolved into the feeling aspect (as in pleasure or displeasure) of consciousness in virtual public venues too! So the next time you yearn for some “widespread affection” think again! You might just get some “published attention” which may or may not be pleasant!

2 comments:

Lalit Lohia said...

Its different for different people...

Just like HSBC Bank ad says.

Kiss on Cheeks.....

Greeting in France.
Rakhi-Mikka Act in India.

- Al Sikandari

insolace said...

Hey Richa I appreciate the creative genius in you to actually zero in on the fact. Its quite apt for us londoners though, coz we experience PDAs at the drop of hat, be it the grocery store, tubes station, checkout queues and definitely the honeymoon season every weekend eve - where loads of firangs provide some odd spectacles after binge drinking.

I remember the very first time when my cousin entered UK and I was travelling with him the very evening he arrived, he was all eyes for the couple opposite in the tube.

Sorry for making a story out of the comment, but yess this facebook thingi is a Speilbergs angle...